|Monday, 1 de May de 2017||| CATALÀ | ESPAÑOL | FRANÇAIS | ENGLISH||
|INICI||MUSEU DE LA PELL||TURISME A IGUALADA||
BRIEF HISTORY OF IGUALADA
Igualada was founded around the year one thousand, on the left bank of the River Anoia, which lends its name to the district. The actual name Igualada comes from the Latin aqualata, which means where the river widens; a river, therefore, that is exploited to provide the hydraulic energy for mills.
Its origin lies at the intersection of two roads: a military one, running from Manresa through Òdena i Montbui, as far as the most distant castles on the plains of Tarragona; and the royal highway, which links Barcelona to Lleida, Aragon and Castile. Its central position in the Òdena basin makes it a natural focal point for country folk and thereby favour the trading and selling of goods.
The first documented records of building in the town refer to the raising of a chapel, in 1003, beside a “mota” or “força”, a small fortification. By 1059, the chapel was already registered as a parish.
In 1381, Igualada received the title of “Carrer de Barcelona”, whereby it came under the protection of Barcelona, sharing equal status with it in terms of rights, freedoms and prerogatives. The town continued to grow and two ramparts were built between the 14th and 15 centuries, until, in the 17th century, the town began to spread towards Soldevila and Capdevila, following the royal highway.
Although during its first years of existence the town grew at a moderate pace, held in check by a sequence of epidemics and migrations, during the 19th and 20th century, Igualada, besides being granted the status of City and heralding the arrival of the railway, underwent spectacular economic growth. Its textile industries become the most important in Catalunya, alongside leather tanning, which became mechanised and made the area the major production centre in the whole of the Peninsula. The first knitwear industries gradually began to make their appearance and so the town attained a position of nationwide importance. Between the years 1800 and 1900, the population doubled, rising to 10,486 inhabitants.
In 2008, the population exceeds 38,000 inhabitants, within a municipal area of eight square kilometres.
|MUSEU DE LA PELL Carrer Dr. Joan Mercader, s/n - Tel./Fax 93 804 67 52 - 08700 Igualada - Anoia Avis Legal||Disseny: Ester Comenge|